Friday, July 01, 2005

EZMezzo Said...

G'day Mate...


What's better than Steve Irwin chasing crocodiles through the bush, or watching the toilets flush down the drain backwards, or watching Russell Crowe hitting a hotel concierge over the head with a phone? Australian Snow Crab!!!!

For those of you who are unfamiliar...it is a very rare species of crab that is only found in depths of 2500 feet off the western coast of Australia. Because light never reaches that far down in the ocean these crabs are characterized by the absence of pigment in the shell. I had the opportunity to eat the Australian Snow Crab Legs a few years ago, and it was by far the greatest culinary experience in my life. This moment was a blessing and a curse to be sure.

Now for the curse part...because this little known species of crab is only found one place on earth, and extremely hard to catch, it's almost impossible to find at any restaurant! The taste of this crab makes every other species seem hum drum. Ignorance is bliss I'm afraid.

So, if dining out at a restaurant you happen to come across this item on the menu...I welcome you to share my curse. Rare as this crab is it's fairly pricey, but I guarantee you won't regret it. It is worth every penny! (Hint: This crab has been known to be on the menu at Bob Chinns Crab House from time to time.) Bon Appetité!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

White Snow---its an experience once you have it you cannot go back...and I have had King, Dungness, Soft Shell, and regular Snow---Nothing beats Australian White Snow. Now the idea is to get to Auzzieland and have it fresh for dinner :)

12:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You realize that crabs are the sludge vacuums of the ocean, right? When you eat a crab leg, you are eating every decaying whale, fish turd, and rotting sea kelp that the crab ever ate. Just keep that in mind next time.

1:19 PM  
Blogger EZMezzo said...

I take it you don't like catfish either?

1:44 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Or lobster, shrimp, or pork. All vacuum cleaners. Onmivorous scavengers. Like humans. I wonder if humans taste as good as other omnivorous scavengers. I bet raccoons and bears taste good too.

2:19 PM  
Blogger EZMezzo said...

I'm so hungry I could eat a BAAAR. Ask Davy Crocket or maybe Cletus the slack jawed yokel

2:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home