Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Unknown Said...

Lag of Omicron Persei 8


Hosting tonight was a bust. We hit about 5 players on a 32 player game before the reports of lag started coming in. I stepped it down to a 20 player game and EzMezzo was getting lag with just 5 total players. It was a real shame. I don't know what the problem is. As I have mentioned, I have my theories but they are pure speculation. Educated guesses, though they are. I wish I had some way to actually monitor the traffic directly. There are possibilites but all of them seem improbable. I thought I might start running some ping tests with Ping Plotter overnight and while I am at work. It really doesn't seem like a latency issue, though. It could be dropped packets. I am not getting any packet loss if I ping Yahoo for 10 minutes like I did this afternoon. It just seems as if the provisioned bandwidth of the modem is not being delivered. It seems like I am not getting close to that bandwidth. It tests OK on speed tests but in real applications it seems to be failing. In a team meeting a few weeks ago one of the higher-ups in engineering mentioned a possible duplexing issue. That might be closer to the truth than anything. I like this added bandwidth because it does improve my gaming experience. However when you go from hobbled to limping you still long to run. I don't really know that having us test these higher speeds is really doing anything. I can't really piece together any way to gather hard data. Without generating imperical data what's the point. If anyone has any suggestions on how to really break it down your suggestions would be welcome.

2 Comments:

Blogger metallicorphan said...

hmmm, sorry to hear about your connection going wierd,i've always had a good game when on your server whackly,hope you can figure it out soon


oh,and nice futurama reference in the threads title

2:18 AM  
Blogger EZMezzo said...

Yea the lag was bad for me last night. I'm not sure what has changed, since you use to host relatively lag free games before your reprovisioning twice removed.

Playing lagged battlefront is like slamming a bottle of tequila...nice and jumpy LOL

12:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home