Saturday, June 21, 2008

Unknown Said...

Voice Acting

I had about 400 words concerning my general distain for celebrities trying to take a stab at voice acting and then pointing out the few exceptions where someone was actually good: Mark Hamill, Patrick Warburton, Robin Williams (who I hate but who is a great voice actor), and (the one who inspired me to post this) Phil Lamarr (Hermes Conrad, Vamp from MGS4, and the dude whose head gets splattered by John Travolta in the back of the car in Pulp Fiction). After 400 words I realized I had about 2000 more and decided I just didn't have the energy for a 2400 word rant. I erased it and wrote this instead.

Voice actors you should look up:
Billy West
Maurice LaMarche
Dan Castellaneta
Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker himself)
Tress MacNeille
David Herman
Frank Welker
Phil LaMarr
Patrick Warburton (Puddy!)
Doc Hammer (not exactly well known for voice acting but... Dr. Girlfriend... Holy Shit!)
H. Jon Benjamin (my favorite. his first appearance on The Venture Bros. had me dying)
Ron Lynch (his voice pops up all over once you know it enough to recognize it)
Chris McCulloch
Brad Garrett (Robert Ramone! His voice is very distinctive and recognizeable so most of his voice acting has been just his regular voice. He's been in so many things over the years but much of it isn't what I would call "choice material." However, if you heard him as Gusteau in Ratatouille, you'll notice he sounded nothing like himself and he was really putting on a voice that couldn't be easily traced back to him. Perhaps he will be able to supplement his regular income from straight-to-DVD Disney crap with some prime gigs.)

There are so many others. Those are just my favorites from a few of my favorite recent shows. Perhaps I should have included Harry Shearer and Hank Azaria in there. There are others on the list that have had careers and fame outside voice acting but the problem is I just don't know what voice acting they've really done outside of The Simpson's. They're both very good and it's possible I've heard them somewhere and not even known it and between them they've delivered something like 67% of my favorite lines from The Simpson's but since I was trying to find the people who do the voices I like on my favorite shows from recent years and, despite the fact that new episodes keep coming out like puss oozing out of a sore, I don't consider The Simpson's to be all that recent.

3 Comments:

Blogger metallicorphan said...

Billy west,was also one of the soldiers in one of the Vietnam games on the xbox 1...i remember because i had it

Phil Lamarr has been a name i have been seeing pretty much for the last 2-3 weeks as i have just finished all the metal gear games in time for number 4,and yes i finished that one as well

Hank Azaria..although i know him as a million and one simpson voices,it was actually Mystery men as the Blue Raja(with your pal,whackly....Eddie Izzard)...and as Phoebe's science fuck buddy in friends..that i will always associate him with

looking at his IMDB profile,it doesnt look as though he has doen any other voice acting(unless you count the Poodle in Beethoven

David Hayter who voices solid snake in the metal gear series and is in eternal darkness,has also wrote a few movies,including x-men(unfortunately,he's the one to blame though for the scorpion king)..he also voiced Captian America in the xmen/spider-man cartoons


Mark Hamill i think did the voice for the Joker in the not so bad Batman cartoons..but again i will always remember his voice acting as himself in the simpsons episode

'use the forks'

2:01 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

eddie izzard is on and off. all of his 'stand up' dvds were really funny but some of the other stuff he's been in was crap on toast.

3:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kevin MacDonald of the Kids In The Hall gets voice work everywhere.

12:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home