Friday, November 28, 2008

Unknown Said...

The other day...

Some people apparently think I'm too dumb to notice when they are being condescending. I supposed, often times, I perpetuate this by pretending I don't notice. You will always have the upper hand on someone who underestimates you. However, I'm not really used to it happening all that often and that's why it stuck with me when it happened the other day. I was having an IM conversation with someone I know... someone who probably knows enough about me to realize I'm a know-it-all but probably doesn't know me well enough to know that I've actually read up on the subject I'm talking about most of the time and that I keep my opinions malleable in case additional information is added. I'm not some stubborn stick in the mud whose opinion is unreasonable and unchangeable. We were lightly engaged in a sort of "What I would do if money wasn't an issue." kind of conversation and they mentioned they would go to Jamaica. I mentioned I thought that was strange since it's not exactly a nice or safe place and the same tropical weather can be had in many much safer locations around that region of the world. The response I got was something fairly consdescending and culminated in an outright sarcastic "OK. You're always right. You always know." kind of comment.

Well, with good old Jamaica nestled between South Africa and Sudan in the list of the top 20 dangerous places on the planet, I would like to point out that this would be an good example of a time when you can cram it with walnuts.
Blogged with the Flock Browser

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, how one lil thing can go so far. jamaica just flew off my tongue. the instant it did lena typed and hit enter. there it went.
and i thought shit. jamaica is not the place for gay girls to go. and the only reason that i knew it was an issue is cuz we were IMing with you. cuz you're smart and you know things. and when you know things you want to share them.
so i just kinda knew you were going to tell us why jamaica was a bad bad choice and lena was left to IM with you and i was just watching tv.
i could have taken the computy away from lena for a moment and explained to you what i knew and how you need not worry cuz we'd never set foot there but it just seemed like such work. and now i realize that i made a mistake. i didn't mean to be an asshole or to just wave you off or your information because i do turn to you for many many answers and i do appreciate those answers even tho i didn't show it. my sincerest apology. i need whackly in my life.

11:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home