Sunday, April 13, 2008

Unknown Said...

I hope this is tasty.

I needed to use up some BBQ leftovers inthe freezer and I think I've thought of the perfect way. It's baking now so soon we shall know just how perfect is my genius (the word genius looks really weird and wrong to me today for some reason- I actually had to spell check it 'cause I was convinved it was wrong).

A while back I started taking tubes of bulk sausage (like Jimmy Dean type stuff) and smoking them whenever I BBQ. It's called "smokin' a fatty." I had 1.5 of those which I chopped up in the food processor this morning.

A few weeks ago I smoke a pork shoulder and the results were amazing. Unfortunately pulled pork doesn't reheat that well. I had about 12oz of that which I took out of the freezer and chopped in the food processor this morning.

A month or more ago I took some smoked sausage( see above), chopped it up, added cream cheese, marscapone cheese, herbs, spices, and hot sauce and piped the mixture into peppers which I wrapped in bacon and smoked on the BBQ. They were good but they were too much work. I decided not to do them again. Subsequently I had a bunch of the cheese mixture left over. I combined the leftover cheese mixture with a container of cottage cheese and a couple of eggs and gave that a whirl in the food processor this morning.

A while back I discovered the 3way potato at skyline chili. I have discovered that I can successfully duplicate them at home by buying frozen skyline chili. This made me wonder if I could make good chili (which I normally.. or used to not like). My first attempt was a fairly easy number using a processed chili seasoning packet (Cincinnati Style) and (a recurring theme here) a bit of smoked sausage added to the ground beef. It was quite good and made excellent 3way potatoes but I had a fair bit left over, which I thawed out this morning.

Now if you had all of these things what would you make?
Lasagna!!!! sort of!

Take lasagna recipe and replace tomato sauce with chili, replace ricotta with the cheese mixture, replace italian sausage with ground fatty and leftover pulled pork, and replace mozerella and provolone with cheddar and monterey jack.

I also made corn pudding to go along with it in my brand new cast iron pan (which looks pretty old but who knows) that I found in the stairwell of an antique shop/farmer's market place south of Centerville. Every time I say corn pudding out loud I want to giggle. It is delicious though.
http://seriouslygood.kdweeks.com/2005/08/corn-pudding.html there's the recipe I used, though I made some minor additions. I should have added some onion, now that I think about it. Oh well.

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

corn pudding wasn't great

10:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have made Cinci chilli a few times after I was out there that time, and got to have Skyline. Not all that hard to make, just requires the food processor to finely chop your meat, and several hours to simmer, along with some unique ingredients (cinnamon & chocolate). Ill have to find the recpie I used one of these days and get it to you, so you can try to compare it to the real stuff since your close enough to do the side by side comparison. It seemed pretty close to me, based on what I remembered of it.

11:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

to much work... sound like a southerner. everyone knows that leftover pulled pork is for tamales - but that's to much work lol.

5:43 PM  
Blogger Something dirty said...

lol. I love reading your awesome food posts while I eat my dinner of Totinos Party Pizza (plain cheese). I am so lazy.

9:25 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

if anyone ever finds a good corn pudding recipe please pass it along. i made corn pone today.. .which made me giggle even more than corn pudding and it was just as blah... bordering on blech

11:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home