Saturday, March 29, 2008

Unknown Said...

Safari For Windows... Fuck it.

I was excited to install Safari and try it out. It smoked IE and Firefox on speed but it was unnoticeably faster than Opera, if at all. It was missing some functionality that anyone advanced enough to look into alternative browers would miss. It didn't seem as "lightweight" as I was led to believe when it came to system resources. Not of those were a deal breaker. It did work. It was stable and had an advantage over Opera in that it is one of the 3 browsers that websites develope to be compatible with. There was a deal-breaking down side, though. This morning I noticed it had installed something called "Bonjour" on my machine and downloaded some crap, then attempted to get me to install quicktime and itunes under by implying those programs were an "update" to Safari. With the K-Lite codec pack I don't need quicktime to play .mov or .aac files and there's no way in hell I'm going to put iTunes on any of my machines... ever... ever ever ever (though I was dumb enough to install Sony's SonicStage software which is way way way way way worse... but I can't use my Sony MP3 player without it). I didn't like the idea of saying no to the updates and being reminded every 6 hours to update by Apple and I certainly didn't like the idea of Apple pushing other products on my by sort of disguising them as updates to Safari. Shame! Happy trails, Safari and Bonjour. CCleaner is mopping up your leavings as we speak.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

ya know, i was informed of that freekin itunes thing over and over...i don't have safari though. i wonder where that came from. freekin computers.
i was on my old desktop yesterday...day before...anyway and it said i have very little memory left so i decided to delete some shit...there i see Bonjour and a bunch of other crap i didn't know existed. where does it come from? oooh yeah, comes from me somehow, internet slut.

12:34 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

bonjour is a zero configuration internet confoobler... lol... basically, once it installs it allows other programs (such as quicktime) to access the internt without hassle or user configuration....
i would call that a security hole but apparently apple disagrees. all i can really say is that every day the apple share of the operating system grows the idea of programming creating virus/malware/spyware that specifically targets macs becomes more attractive to the average douchebag who creates virus/malware/spyware... and eventually we'll all have a great show as the "apple is more secure" temple comes crashing down. in the meantime apple becomes more and more the opposite of itself everyday. all the apple hugging microsoft hating hippies forget that apple is in the biz to make money just like m$ and everyone else. if apple can make money by tricking you into installing crap that allows them to push product on you but also creates a security risk... they do it.

6:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home