Saturday, April 14, 2007

Unknown Said...

For the record, I am not an Athiest... but....

Given my new home and its close proximity to the Bible Belt I thought I'd take a moment to point out a few things.

First, the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment to the United States Constitution:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion"

This introduces a clear and (supposedly) unbreakable seperation of Church and State. Students can pray in school. Students can form prayer clubs. Student can NOT be required to pray or punished for a refusal to pray. Nor should religious dogma be taught in any school. Sound secular science should be taught and if students choose to disagree then good for them. They are excersizing their right to ignore an overwhelming pile of proven science in favor of a fairy tale originally written by people who thought the world was flat and that the movement of heavenly bodies foretold the future (and not just the future of the movement of heavenly bodies, either). If you, or anyone, wants your child to be exposed to creationism, "intelligent" design, or any other pile of dim witted quackery you can expose them yourself. Do it at home, in church, or in the car on the way to a NASCAR event. You should not be able to force teachers to teach it in schools.

There's a lot more to the separation of Church and State than just the school issues but I don't want to write 7000 words so I'm stopping here.

Second, Article 11 of the 1797 Treaty of Tripoli:

"As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion; as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquillity, of Mussulmen; and, as the said States never entered into any war, or act of hostility against any Mahometan nation, it is declared by the parties, that no pretext arising from religious opinions, shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries."

This treaty was agreed to and ratified by the same founding fathers that did all that other great stuff way back in the day.. you know.. like own slaves and spread syphilis. My GOD! They are ratifying a treaty of peace with an Islamic nation! Burn them and may their Qur'an studying souls (many of them were Masons. What do you know about Masons? Probably not enough.) suffer for eternity in a lake of fire. Actually, no. Don't burn them. That was irony. But the next time you hear someone say this is a Christian nation tell them to tell that to the founding fathers who specifically said otherwise.

Third: Fuck The Mainstream Media in nearly every form

7 Comments:

Blogger shorty said...

Great post. I'm not an athiest either but I can't believe what I heard on the CNN clips - I wish I could have seen it in it's entirety. I completely believe in the seperation of church and state. Not cause religion is bad but there are too many religions for them all to be represented. Math is math, English is english and Science is, well, science. Religion isn't just religion. There are many beliefs. Our nation wasn't founded on religion, it shouldn't be a requirement in a public school. Organized religion is a farse. Too many ignorant people for me. I'm agnostic. I know there is something greater than myself, but I don't have to preach it to other people nor do I have to congregate with a bunch of other people and talk about those that don't believe the same thing I do. Of course except for this blog. Anyway, like Whackly said, don't want to write a novel.

5:53 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You know, if you're an agnostic, not an athiest perhaps you should read up on Deism. maybe start by looking up Tom Paine.

5:56 PM  
Blogger shorty said...

Because I'm curious I will do that. However, I tend to roll alone in that aspect. I don't think there has to be a lot of contemplation about what you believe. You just do. I should start my own religion. Intentionism. Your intentions as far as our Higher Power is concerned is what matters.

6:53 PM  
Blogger Something dirty said...

I think comparative religion should be taught as a subject in high school, anyone object to that?

9:32 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

no, as long as it's not the "here's why our religion is better than all this other silly shit" type of comparative religion class that I had in high school

9:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that everytime someone mentions that the country was founded by Christians, they usually mean the Puritans (who had a common practice of tying Quakers, you know, pacifists, to trees and beating them up.) There goes your freedom of religion.

2:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow. i'm offended. i really am surprised that cnn did a show like that, totally one-sided and that no one made a big stink about it. oh wait, there probably was a stink but it wasn't backed by the church so no one made it on t.v.
what a load of poo.
as a kid schooled in a catholic "school" i can admit that i was fucking LOST in 10th grade biology. what was this "big bang" everyone was talking about? yeah, they were supposed to teach us both but somehow i must have missed that day.
i took a religions of the world class thru brainerd college, and it was the best class i took there. we actually did learn about many different religions, as if i remember anything except finding a picture of a sun i still want as a tattoo. lol.
well, lemme tell ya, if there is one thing that can piss off my whole family, it's religion. oh sweet jesus. riot!

9:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home