Saturday, June 24, 2006

Unknown Said...

Windows XP Automatic Restart

I want my desktop (which is running nearly all the time because it gets used via remote desktop by 2 different people and also serves as the DVR and HD-DVR for my family) to shut down and restart every morning at 6 AM. My router autoreboots at this time each day already and I can't imagine what show I'd ever want to record that would be on at that time. Can anyone give some advice on how to do this?

Yeah yeah, I know I can use the task scheduler to run "shutdown -r" and varioius other options that include -f to close down all programs in case something doesn't want to shut down or a -t 00 to set a timeout. These options don't work. I've tried them.

Any alternative advice or a refined task scheduler/shutdown.exe solution that has been proven to work in XP would be appreciated. In fact a working answer might even lead to a reward or some kind of compensation... or something.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://webpages.charter.net/leither/
autoclose.exe.

This is what I use and I run XP Pro with SP2.

Later

9:33 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

dude... nice

1:52 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

thanks scott! it works... i don't like having another thing in the system tray but i was going to have something running whether there was an icon in the tray or not so it's a wash.... i set it to reboot at 6 AM and it seems as if it did so because messenger and everything was off when i logged into it... excellent

8:29 AM  
Blogger shorty said...

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. Yup, uh huh.

3:42 PM  
Blogger Something dirty said...

Me too. Good to know. Why do you need it to reboot every day anyway?

9:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home