Sunday, April 09, 2006

Unknown Said...

Pink Floyd

I Don't Like The Wall. I never did. I found the movie convoluted and found the album to be luddite and more of a movie soundtrack than a complete experience....

The Wall was my first introduction to Pink Floyd and since I didn't like it I never really gave them a second chance. I did, however, walk into a dorm room with a couple of friends where Dark Side Of The Moon was playing. We proceeded to get extra-super-shiz-nittle-slip-slap-sally-style "tore up." That was a good time. I remember staring at the textured tiles above me and realizing that they were all the same. That meant that I could have my eyes pointing different directions at two different tiles but still have my brain fooled into thinking I was looking at the same thing with both eyes. But I couldn't tell how far away they were because the depth perception didn't pan out and my mind couldn't resolve it. I remember feeling like was was floating. Good times. I puked my everlovin' brains out and later Dave left and I ended up with a Japanese student who looked at me as if I was the first American he had ever spoken with outside of an airport... because I was. He and I were friends just long enough for him to find the table of Japanese students. He was a rockabilly drummer and he and I shared a love of Reverend Horton Heat. He had a cool stereo with mysterious buttons I will never understand. All that aside I was going through my music collection a while back and found Dark Side Of The Moon in there. I had purchased it when Marcia got a DVD of the Wizard Of Oz as a gift. It was $3. So Marcia and I went through the "proper preparations" and slapped in the DVD. We followed instructions off the internet to sync the CD of DSOTM to TWOO. It was pretty cool. A little too cool to be coincidental. I have some theories as to how that came about. It's possible it's all on purpose and the band doesn't know. It's possible the band does know. Who cares. It seems like it was on purpose. If it's not it's a cool co-incedence. It is not, however, ironic. So fuck you, Alanis Morrisette, and all your French Candian Flannel Frog Family.... damn it. And what does all this tell us, children? It tells us that enjoying Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon could be a gateway drug. I'm living proof. I took two hits of Dark Side Of The Moon. I took them years apart. But that's all it takes. Now I am hooked. I'm scrabling around the internet looking for the recording of the 1972 Sapporo Japan show that was released by an Italian as a bootleg called "The Great Gig On The Moon." I'm listening intently to 1971's "Meddle" and picking it apart to find all the different elements that became DSOTM. I'm trying to stop myself ordering the "Live at Pompeii" DVD re-release from Amazon. Why the fuck, btw, is the DVD portion of the DVD-A of DSOTM in 4.1 Dolby Digital AND 4.1 DTS with no center channel? It still sounds great and the stereo itself already finds any parallels between the left and right audio tracks and broadcasts them on the center channel. It's just wierd. Right now Azureus is downloading some 8.5GB file I found that just chalf full of live shows and bootlegs I can't find anywhere else. They can't be bought, PEOPLE!. The have to be downloaded from the internet. ... I AM NOT STEALING TO SUPPORT MY HABIT!!!

JUST SAY NO!
To Pink Floyd

Brought to you by The Partnership For A Floyd Free America

1 Comments:

Blogger Something dirty said...

awesome post, dude!

11:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home