Monday, March 13, 2006

Unknown Said...

Just replace the word "Baby" with "Jesus"

I just saw Dave Chappelle's Block Party. Holy shit, son! That was ill! I had thought I would ask if anyone in the group wanted to go to Perkins' or some such place afterward and hang out but once it was all over I completely bugged out in the rudest possible way so I could jump in the car and call Mezzo! Lauryn Hill is the sexiest woman on Earth (I'm not counting you Marcia, because you are above being judged), even if she did forget the words to Killing me softly. Kanye West, excellent although unseen after his initial opening of the show. Dead Prez surprised the shit out of me. I guess I was un-initiated. Despite the fact that a couple of the things they said sounded eerily close to the lyrics of a song by a U.K. hate rock band (just replace the word "Nigger" with "Cracker" and voila!)I saw on a Google Current story ,I think, they still rocked me. Just to be clear, though. Me liking their performance does not mean I want to be run off my block for being a "cracker." "The White House is the rock house and Uncle Sam is the pusherman." did strike me in the right place and reminded me of Zach De La Rocha's line "You know the cops, they got network for the toxic rock." ?uestlove (of The Roots) did the drumming for the entire concert, excepting the closing act with The Fugees, and got a comment in about how sometimes artists will pick up audiences they didn't intent and who don't always appreciate the material for the right reasons. I noticed that none of the frat boy crowd that was in the theater laughed during that part. Wonder if they felt guilty? That mirrored something Dave Chappelle had talked about when he was on Oprah. I hope to not be one of those people who laughs for the wrong reasons. I hope I am laughing for the right reasons. I don't have any desire to scream "I'm Rick James Bitch!" at Dave if I ever see him on the street. I was, again, reminded of the same sort of thing as I watched Carlos Mencia talking about a guy in a wheelchair trying to cut in while in queue for a stand-by seat at the airport. Normally I find Mencia irritating but in that instance I felt he had something to say that needed to be heard. The Comedy Central special I was watching was called "No Strings Attached," if you care. I've gotten off topic. That movie was Brilliant. I dunno if my co-viewers thought so or not but I am going out on a limb and just saying it without checking to make sure my opinion is in line with that of the group. I loved it. I think I will go see it again. Although, next time I will take a vicodin in advance to keep my ass from hurting. Who's fucking idea was it to build theater seats so low to the ground that anyone over 5'8" has their knees at an acute angle in order to touch both feet to the ground. The seats lean back so you could get around that issue by stretching your legs out straigh in front of you except that the back of the seat in front of you goes all the way to the floor and you can't get your feet under the seat. So you spend the movie crossing and uncrossing your legs to give each knee, and ass cheek a break only you can't cross your right leg because if you did it would be in the lap of the poor lady next to you. Raise every seat in the theater 3 inches higher off the ground and there wouldn't be any problem at all. What the fuck. For those of you who don't know what I mean you are lucky spoiled fuckers who go to nice theaters owned by big chains who were last remodeled before theaters hit hard financial times due to the overwhelming piles of crap being turned out by Hollywood who tries to shift the blame for weak box office sales by blaming movie pirates who wouldn't pirate movies of Hollywood could seem to make more than 2 a year worth paying money to see. Tossers!!!!!!!!!!

5 Comments:

Blogger Something dirty said...

I liked the movie a bunch. Dave Chapelle is so cool because he is like... awesome and stuff. I was thinking about what I liked about him on the way home last night, and I was totally eloquent, my hand to gawd, but I can't remember what it was I was going to say. I don't think I've ever been in that weird tiny theater at Parkwood, it reminded me a little of the cheap seats that used to be downtown. I miss that place, some of the theaters had balconies, the concessions were as cut rate as the films, homeless people wandering in and out. Walking distance to campus. What's there now? A dumb hotel.

10:48 AM  
Blogger Something dirty said...

oh, and Common & Mos Def are totally hot and I found Erykah Badu's grill disturbing, for a while I thought she had braces.

10:48 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

did you notice that badu only had the fronts in while she was on stage? when she was offstage in the daycare center she gave the camera a big smile and there wasn't anything there but teeth.... were the teeth and the giant afro wig just part of a tongue in cheek statement of some kind?

12:01 PM  
Blogger Something dirty said...

nope, more like stage persona, I think. Remember when she had the head wrap when she first went big?

2:03 PM  
Blogger Something dirty said...

oh, Crapnasty said, & I agree, that you weren't actually rude, we sensed no ill intent, so no worries.

12:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home