Friday, November 25, 2005

Unknown Said...

Tech Support Blues

I sent the following inquiry to USR's email tech support:

I have a Max-G router and Max-G 5411 pcmcia card. It's set for Max-G125 mbps acceleration. The USR utility says I am connected at 125 mbpsbut the windows wireless connection description will start out saying Iam connected at 54 but slowly, 10 minutes or so, go to 36, then 18, then11, and then down to 1mbps. The signal strength is excellent. Ithappens on every channel. The signal on almost all channels is at -58,noise -99 and signal to noise ration is always around 40. This wouldseem to be a pretty excellent connection. I cannot figure out why it isdropping so low. Throughout, the USR utility always says I am connectedat 125, even while I am running the tests the prove I am at 1mbps. Ihave tried every combination of settings ont he router. I did, however,switch over to a USR 5410 Wireless Turbo card which maintains a clearand constant 54 mbps without a drop over time. This would suggest thenew Max-G 5411 card is the cause of the issue. Any assistance would beexcellent.

I got an automated message telling me to expect a repsonse within hours.
2 days later I got this:

Dear Kyle,Thank you for choosing U.S. Robotics.Low range can be caused by environmental interference. Try to move theAccess Point around to improve the link quality. In addition, keep inmind that other factors such as lead-based paint, concrete walls, andelectronic items such as 2.4G phones may affect your wireless rangeAgain, thank you for choosing U.S. Robotics.If you reply to this message, please click 'Reply' and include allprevious correspondence. This allows us to track and resolve your issuemore efficiently.

Sincerely,
Che
U.S. RoboticsTechnical Support

Please note the disparity between the evidence presented and the answer given. It seems the only way that anyone ever gets an answer of any validity out of a tech support representative is to speak with me or my co-workers. I think we are the only tech support department in the world that actually supports anything. Please note that I don't want to be one of the shitty customers that piss me off every day so I did do what Che's email suggested. It, of course, made no difference at all. Pathetic.

2 Comments:

Blogger Something dirty said...

just be like our customers, call in repeatedly for no reason, speak incoherently, be rude. that works, right?

5:25 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

far any that are interested I am expecting another contact from us robotics today.... i may break hiatus temporarily to post the results, depending on whether they are frustrating, hilarious, or helpful... or, most likely, only two of the three

10:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home