Thursday, April 13, 2006

Unknown Said...

You Have Got To Be Kidding Me!

As I've mentioned in the recent past I have been downloading a lot of music that I can't get anywhere else. Lots of bootlegs and live shows that you really can't find in a music store have made a path into my collection via Azureus. A small percentage of the music I've been downloading is in .flac files. Flac stands for "free lossless audio codec" and is a filetype used to compress audio without a loss of quality. I have been converting these files to lossless wma files using a program called GXTranscoderV2. I have recommended this program to a few of you lately as an excellent freeware audio transcoder. It works well but it has a clunky interface. I have found that after adding files to be converted, then telling the program what directory to put the outgoing files into, choosing and verifying the settings for output quality and then allowing the program to complete the conversion that the last file in the list is never converted. It's just gone. It was in the list but it never showed up in the destination directory. I have gotten used to just going back in and converting that one file all by itself. Tonight, to my horror, I found out why the final file was never showing up. I was checking all the details of a conversion before I hit the "start" button and I was paying special attention to the destination directory details in order to see if I could find where the problem is occuring. I found it. Oh I fucking found it alright. You see when I highlight the list of file to be converted, right click on them, and change the destination directory the last file is (for some dumb fucking reason that makes me want to find the software's creator, put a bullet in a non-critical region of his brain, and fuck the bullet hole as he slowly fades away) the output file for the last file in the list is renamed the SAME NAME AS THE FIRST FILE IN THE LIST!!! What that means is that in every instance where I was unable to find the final file in the destination directory it had been converted but it had been named the same as the first file in the list and subsequently replaced that file. In short... the last song on the "album" was given the name of the first song on the "album" and the first song was deleted. MOTHER FUCKER. Now I don't have the orignals anymore. Those files are huge so as soon as the conversion was done I deleted them. I've also converted 30+ "albums" this way and I don't remember what they all were. I may never know. I've even replaced albums I already had with these converted files because they offered a better sound quality. So now I have to try and remember which ones those are so I can pull the appropriate files off the backup drive. Who knows if I'll ever get it sorted. I uninstalled GXTranscoder in anger. Now that I know about the problem it wouldn't ever happen again and I could probably continue to use GXTranscoder but I am so freaking angry that every time I look at that program I would remember this moment and how I'm tempted to go to the kitchen, find a knife, go outside, and kill the first thing I can catch just to feel relief. DAMNDAMNDAMN DAMNDAMNDAMN DAMNDAMNDAMN DAMNDAMNDAMN DAMNDAMNDAMN DAMNDAMNDAMN

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

in to every life a little rain must fall...in the meantime, enjoy this...

http://www.stevenseagal.com/music/index.shtml

6:56 AM  
Blogger EZMezzo said...

sounds like that programmer needs a lesson in structures and ArrayLists. He obviously isn't handling the collection object right... ?!?!?!?!?!

9:09 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

so's your face

10:06 AM  
Blogger Something dirty said...

oh snap

11:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home