Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Unknown Said...

OMFGDMFPOS

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That having been said... I will start with this...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The follow in absolutely true. I shit you not. Seriously.

Thanks to Scecina, a friend from teamengrish.com(currently having some difficulty with the hosting company), I recently recieved a Final Fantasy XI beta test disk. I rushed the disk into my xbox 360 to begin my nerd ecstacy. Thwarted, I tell you, in the most horrible way I am now contemplating mass sacrifice to my inner rage.

I would love to spin a tale here and I certainly could, but there is so much to tell that from this point forward I will stick to the facts. No editorializing whatsoever.

Immediately after putting in the disk I was asked to install some PlayOnline software onto my 360. I agreed. I was forced to scroll through numerous agreements and notices using the controller as if it were a mouse. I was then asked for my birthdate. I was forced to enter this information using a convuluted scheme in which I must use the controller to move the cursor to the field, click x to highlight the field, click y to bring up a little arrow next to the field, and click x again to bring up a little keyboard where I could move the cursor about to type in the numbers. There were no instuction. I had to figure this out with trial and error. I gave my digits and the installation began. It took a very long time. I was then asked to check for updates. It downloaded updates for another very long time. It installed them for another very long time. I was told I would need a code. There was no code with the disk but after a few minutes I found some very tiny blurry print on the sleeve that had a website. I went to the website and was asked for my email address. A confirmation email address was sent to me. I was then given two product keys. Not knowing which to enter I entered the first. It was wrong. I entered the second. I was in five seperate fields with 4 digits in each. Each field must be individually selected. I began to feel like I knew what it was like to be blind and control windows with the black stip with all the moving pins in it. It worked. I was logged into playonline and my information was retrieved. I was then asked to use the same convoluted control scheme to enter my address, phone, number, email address and so forth. I was puzzled that I should have to take 45 minutes to enter it here when I could have entered it in minutes on the website I had just been sent to and with which my xbox had just connected. I was then given a username and was asked to create a password and confirm it. The I was asked to enter the username and password I had just created and confrimed on the previous screen. I was then given a playonline.com email address and sent through the same password confirmation process. I began to get angry. I was then asked to wait while more updates were downloaded and installed. I was then sent through more TOS agreements, forms, and warnings and then the FFXI installation began. It took over an hour. It took so long I left and went to work. Eventually it came to a screen where my wife was asked to enter a name. A completely seperate username from the one I was given earlier. She entered Whackly. It was accepted. She shut off the 360. I returned home excited to play. I was immediately asked for my username and password. I entered it. Keep in mind all of this is entered using the ridiculous controls mentioned above. I was then asked for the FFXI product key. More individually selected fields. OK... evertying's ready. There's something on the screen that says "play." I click it. I am informed I have no content ID and that one must be purchased. It's supposed to be a free beta so I click on the purchase content ID box in a previous menu after backing out enough to find it. I am required to re-enter all my usernames, password, blood type, genome, dna sample, and ACT score. I think that's what happened. I blacked out, actually. I was iformed that I had one content ID and would not be billed during the beta test. I went back and clicked on play and was told I needed to update. It began downloading updates an hour ago and is about to finish istalling them now. I have spent more than 4 hours on this game and I haven't even played it yet. Hopefully I will in less than a minute. If I don't you might want to run if you see me coming tomorrow.

9 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Update: it finished downloading and installing. Then it launched into downloading and installing updates since the original update. It says time remaining = 0 minutes but it has said that for 10 minutes now.

Did I mention that there was a warning in the game stating that they hope that the game is a fullfilling and fun experience but that it is important that player do not forget to bathe, go to work, or participate in family or society at large? well ther was one....

1:03 AM  
Blogger metallicorphan said...

okay ...first thank big dog,as the magazine has a website where you can go to get the instuction booklet...it also gives you the five steps of getting playing,one of them is getting a free purchase code from a certain site
(see xbox.com...they usually have it about somewhere...mine was a europe site..so i cant help you,i'm afraid)
okay,as for the sticking on 10 mins...you have a faulty disc that a lot of people have been having,not just with final fantasy,but a few 360 discs....

the answer(you wont believe this)....dip the disc in boiling water for 10 seconds....for some reason the disc then works...or it has done for the many people who have had the same problem..they have all been posting on the final fantasy forums of xbox.com

and yes it takes an hour to installl the game,but then you will find that you will then have another hour updating the game!!

with the size of the game(which is easily the biggest game i have ever seen)..its not suprising that it takes up 5 gig of your 360 hard drive.....it will take you about a day of playing non-stop to get through all the areas in final fantasy 11,thats if you just go,and dont stop to kill monsters..if you wanted to run from one end of vana'diel to the other

i am now level 17!!!..yippeee

the full game actually comes out april 18th for you guys(april 20th for me)along with the two expansion packs that are included in the beta demo...and also a brand new 3rd expansion pack...which is also the day for the expansion pack for pc owners as well ...er$49.99 i think someone said the price was.....but then you have to pay $13 a month...i ahve had this for 6 months on the pc...it costs me 8 quid a month...which is the same as ,say 5 or 6 2LTR bottles of coke


anywayyy......so thats whats wrong with team engrish then is it??....any idea how long it will be down?......you are west side of U.S aren't you?,so it wont have anything to do with the east side snow then?

1:19 AM  
Blogger metallicorphan said...

okay i see that you are now playing the game...


ignore all that shit i have jsut said then,LOL

1:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

unreal. my heart goes out to you, whackly, you have proven that you are worthy of playing a video game that may or may not cause the deaths of stupid people everywhere. and this is why you should also be glad i am not a gamer, you would have had to walk me thru it. and then you would have killed me. have fun with it if you can. later

10:18 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

metal!!!!!!!
when i'm in the damned game playing and i want to leave there's never any option to quit... how the hell do i quit the game properly? if i just shut off the xbox i get warnings and crap telling me not to do so when i log back on... and what they hell did it store on my freaking 360 that took 5 GB when there weren't any intos, cut scenes, or voice acting? I'm so sick of reading scroll after scroll of mindless text i could kill... i MUST kill....

5:50 PM  
Blogger scecina said...

LOL.LOL.LOL.LOL.I am so glad I sent you that evil cursed disc It had the mark of the devil I tell you. You know, there had been a black cloud over my apartment recently, maybe 3-4 months, and after I mailed out that disc, it went away. No, in all seriousness, that sucks man, actually I should have warned you, I read the magazine article and the guy bitched about the same things you are. But I hear the game is fun once you get it going. Or im satan and want you to keep driving your self crazy. mew hahahaha

12:09 AM  
Blogger metallicorphan said...

sorry for the late reply whackly,my internet has been down for 24 hrs

when playing the game and you wanna quit...press 'x' to bring the ingame menu up....and then either press left or right on the directional pad...or press 'x' again...then scroll down to log out....you will kneel down as though you are healing(you do know about healing dont you)..and 30 seconds later you will log out and go back to the previous screen

just keep hitting back and quit online viewer until you are back to the 360 menu screen

if you need anything else,just ask on here and i'll try and answer it for you

7:08 AM  
Blogger EZMezzo said...

4 hour setup time...inability to save...I think I'll just stick to my NBA 2K6....(and PGR3, when Whackly and Metal can finally play)

9:13 AM  
Blogger metallicorphan said...

you dont need to save...whatever you have on you and wherever you are....you will be in the same posistion when you go back on...it saves automatically when you are logging out,most proberbly why it takes 30 seconds when you wanna quit

12:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home