Sunday, October 30, 2005

Unknown Said...

Early Sunday Blues...

Boredom, more like. So I ordered a new pc. Partly I was jealous of the one my mom just bought, partly I was feeling like a putz for not buying one a month ago when this really badass one I couldn't really afford was on sale for a sale price that was still way more than I could afford, but mostly because one of my big storage drive crapped out on me and replacing that was going to be a couple hundred anyway. This new one I ordered is everything the one I wanted a month ago is with a few slight differences. The one I wanted a month ago was designed to go in your living room and hook to a T.V. A home theatre p.c., or htpc in geek reducto, as it were. This new one does all the same stuff but is more of a computer desk in the office type of thing and less of a "in your living room" thing. I figure it won't matter anyway since this one I ordered was hella cheaper, hella beefier, AND I won't need a pc in the living room sine the Xbox 360 will allow me to do all that kinda crap anyhow. This new p.c. has a lightscribe dvd drive in it. This brings me to a question I really need and answer to and I would appreciate any opinion, expertise preferred, on the matter.

Sam's Club has dvd-r in spindles of 100 for a little less than $40. These spindles come in all label varieties: inkjet printable, plain white, and the like. One of them is called "Thermal Printable." Are these thermal printable disks the sort of disk I would need to use to burn labels with lightscribe? I was under the impression that lightscribe disks were pricey but these thermal ones are the same price as the others.

Please advise. Please. Please. I'm out of DVDs and I need to buy some A.S.A.P.

On another note I am trying out the Opera browser. First at the urging of Paav but then also at the urging of Doordolt. There are some issues. For instance, as I type this mosr of the useful icons at the top of the blogger compose window are gone. However, there are some pretty cool features. First up, security. It's really only secure for the same reason firefox is. By that I mean it isn't. It's just that not many people use Opera so there's really no point in nefarious types making exploits for it. Other advantages include it's sleek and refined design. In fact I am a stickler for effeciency in a brower. I get so tired of having to uncheck pointless toolbars and rearrange them up top in IE and firefox that this minimalist aspect of Opera really tickles me in a sick place. The tabbed browsing is quite nice as well. Screw switching windows and such. Just tab over. Ingenious! Not original, by any means, but much more effectively done than it was in... say... Star Office 5.2.

Anyways, back to recovering from catastrophic drive failure. It has taken me most of my free time since Thursday just to get all my digital pictures and music back (a profound success on both counts though) and now I am just burning a backup of a friend's wedding video so I don't have to panick if I think I lost the .iso again. I am thinking of foregoing putting Microsoft Office 2003 back on this pc. I really only needed it for Outlook and I don't use outlook for mail. I have already exported my calendar to the laptop so I think I will just give Corel a run for now.

I am tired. OOOOOOOH!!! I have GMAIL! I'm out like Sulu!

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

It was fuc#ing spam. Damnit.

1:03 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

the scroll funtion doesn't seem to work in opera :( that's a deal breaker.... if I can't run my finger on the corner of the pad to scroll down and have to actually mouse over to the bar and drag the windows down it really slows me down.... damn, i knew it was going to be too good to be true

6:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home