Saturday, August 30, 2008

Unknown Said...

Meat Sweats

These are pork shoulders smoked overnight. I was on the couch anyhow because the coughing was coming back and I would have kept everyone up with that. What better for a cough than getting up every 45 minutes to check on your BBQ? At 14 hours on the smoke I got fed up and finished them in the oven. I pulled them at 195 and put them on the stove top under foil. This was taken 10 minutes later when the temp was still 190! They took forever to cool and were delicious. There's much left in the fridge and freezer. No rub was used and they were injected with a concoction of my own that included honey and Daddies (the strong brown sauce) and the liquid that came off of them while in the oven was a disturbing red color because of it.
The 2nd photo is 3 "fatties" on the smoker with the tiny fire burning on the bricks in the corner. We had made sausage and found that the kitchenaid is an excellent grider but a rubbish sausage stuffer. We gave up on stuffing and put all the bulk sausage in gladware containers. Then I figured that I would take a few out and let them thaw and then roll them into fatties. Then I decided I didn't need to roll them and just chucked them on the BBQ. The two on the bottom are small size bulk breakfast sausage (homemade extra black pepper and sage recipe) and the one on top was a large size gladware container full of bulk bratwurst (seasoning purchased from Buther & Packer and unaltered except the liberties I took with the liquid that went into the sausage... why use water?). All were delicious. The leftovers have made their way onto fried smoked-bratwurst-loaf sandwiches and the smoked breakfast sausage is ridiculously good when chopped up and tossed in some macaroni and cheese. Tomorrow I'll be at it again. I'll be smoking another giant bratwurst loaf in addition to a traditional homemade fatty as well as another bratwurst loaf in the shape of an additional fatty. The traditional homemade fatty is getting a rub first. Salt, brown sugar, smoked paprika, and black pepper. Sound good? It does to me. I'll be going down the hickory chunk road again although I did locate the gladware tub of pistachio shells, too. I don't know if I'll use them or not. I can't find anything concrete about whether or not it's a good idea. I wonder how long I could keep writing about BBQ? Hey! Anyone got any side dishes I can cook on the BBQ that don't involve corn on the cob, meat, OR wrapping something in foil to where I could just do it in the oven and it would taste exactly the same?
Posted by Picasa

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks F'ng brillant man. I gotta get back on the grill again. How'd it pull? Had to of come out well.

As far as sides.... potato salad, potato foil packs, fried potatos... everything else i can think of you don't like the ingredients.

3:36 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

it pulled easily. fell apart but not to mush. also.. just had cheese enchiladas covered in pulled pork and homemade enchilada sauce.... very good...
tomorrow... pulled pork tacos....
today i've got an asada marinated tri-tip, a pork tenderloin, two chicken breasts an enormous fatty, an enourmous brat fatty, and another of the HUGE brat loaves going... started them w/ pecan shells and am now going hickory. tis quite the thing.

4:03 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

btw... i like all kind of ingredients.. but i refuse to wrap shit in foil... i might as well save some $ and use the oven at that point. you can't cook potato salad on the grill....

10:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home