Sunday, September 30, 2007

Unknown Said...

Words of the week 10.1.07

This week I am going to post definitions for three words. I think people just don't seem to know that they confuse these words all the time. I was watching Mythbusters and they were removing a cast from somebody's arm and having a hard time with it. Somebody said "Wouldn't it be bad if you broke your arm trying to get it out of a cast?" to which the other person replied "That would be ironic!" I thought "No, I don't think so. I should check!" and this post was born. It would appear that I am guilty of mixing these words up myself but I assure you that in every instance I was being purely ironic.

Irony: an implied discrepancy between what is said and what is meant.
1. verbal irony is when an author says one thing and means something else.
2. dramatic irony is when an audience perceives something that a character in the literature does not know.
3. irony of situation is a discrepency between the expected result and actual results.

Sarcasm: the sneering, jesting, or mocking of a person, situation or thing.
1. harsh or bitter derision or irony.
2. a sharply ironical taunt; sneering or cutting remark: a review full of sarcasms.

Coincidence: the noteworthy alignment of two or more events or circumstances without obvious causal connection.
1. a striking occurrence of two or more events at one time apparently by mere chance.
2. the condition or fact of coinciding.
3. an instance of this.

15 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I've just discovered a new hobby! Those of you who read MF know that my grammar is on and off, like my brain, writing style, and ability to empathize. Like my writing style and empathy I am capable of good grammar but generally just don't care. Half the time I don't even correct my spelling mistakes for Christ's sake. Acting as grammar Nazi's is something I understand but generally only participate in ironically. Now, though, a full purpose has overcome me. I will now, when bored, begin to troll Digg.com and whenever I find grammar Nazi correcting people I will proceed to correct the Nazi. It is fun.

12:48 PM  
Blogger EZMezzo said...

What movie included the following line about irony.

"Irony? No, we don't have that here. We haven't seen any irony around these parts for years, when I was the only practitioner of it, and I was tired of being stared at."

4:08 PM  
Blogger metallicorphan said...

hee hee...i know what it is

5:05 PM  
Blogger metallicorphan said...

WAIT...no,let me say instead

that i nose it


and no,that doesnt mean you can correct me whackly!!

5:08 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

He was good back then wasn't he? What happened?

P.S.... let's get rid of the word verification! frankles and SD don't have it and there isn't much spam in their comments

5:23 PM  
Blogger EZMezzo said...

The twenty something betters scene is still one of the funniest scenes ever.

5:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to live with the Grammer Nazi, it really upsets him when you say something like 10 times smaller. He gets frustrated and says how can something be 10 times smaller? There are certain words and phrases that drive him crazy. I am the lucky one that gets to listen. Whackly I love it when you rant on about how stupid someone else is. As long as it is not me or lil Whack. So go on and rid the world of improper grammer when you feel like it.

3:43 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I don't call you and lil whack stupid, dumbass!

7:44 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

by the way.... things can't be 10 times smaller. they can be 1 tenth the size or smaller by a factor of 10 but they can not be 10 times smaller... they can be .1 times smaller.... that would make sense

9:57 PM  
Blogger metallicorphan said...

makes me laugh when you wacky Americans say

'i could care less'

when the normal thing to say is

'i couldn't care less'

not sure why you guys get that mixed up,something to do with the 60's(yes i looked it up about 6 months ago)...but tehre are a few things like that...at first i asked why the guy had put it...and got flamed to death,LOL

6:08 AM  
Blogger EZMezzo said...

ten times smaller would work ONLY if , the reference object was infact a smaller facsimile of a second object that was larger. you could take that zoom factor times ten and it would work. But yes, out of the chute, ten times smaller doesn't make any sense.

9:49 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

If I understand you properly the situation you described refers to nearly any instance in which "10 times smaller" could be used... and I think it's still wrong.

5:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i could care less....

6:46 PM  
Blogger metallicorphan said...

LOL


i watched mythbusters last night whackly

although this episode they were trying to get a rifle to 'banana split'....if the end was blocked up,like you see in most bugs bunny/elmer fudd cartoons

12:57 AM  
Blogger Something dirty said...

Oh man. Like that Alanis Morissette song? Which is ironically, not so much about irony as about people having a bad time.

9:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home