Monday, November 14, 2005

EZMezzo Said...

Prime Number Brothers



Today officially marks a finite window that me and my brother are officially "prime number brothers" as I turned 31 today, and for another 3 weeks my brother will be 37. So instead of wallowing in the fact that I've turned one year older, I decided to take this time to blog some interesting tidbits about being "Prime Time".

Websters defines a prime number as:

prime \'prim\ n [ME, fr. MF, fem. of prin first, L primus; akin to L prior] 1 : first in time : ORIGINAL 2 a : having no factor except itself and one <3> b : having no common factor except one <12> 3 a : first in rank, authority or significance : PRINCIPAL b : having the highest quality or value <~ television time>

Besides the fact that prime numbers have no divisors except 1 and itself, here are some other fun facts. If you multiply the two numbers together, the resulting product is 1147. The following events occured during the year 1147:

  • Siege of Lisbon: King Afonso I of Portugal and the Crusaders capture Lisbon from Muslims
  • First written mention of Moscow.
  • Abd al-Mumin destroys the Almoravid Empire
  • Dore Abbey founded Wendish Crusade
If you average the two numbers together, you come up with "34". 34 happens to be the number of the greatest running back in NFL history, and also my childhood idol, Walter Payton.

Anyway you calculate or spin the numb3rs, it is still more sand trickling through the bottom of the hourglass of life. Instead of being depressed that I am over 10 times as old as my Nephew, I am going to look to the future. Year number 31, here I come, I'm "primed" and ready!

12 Comments:

Blogger Something dirty said...

Ezmezzo, you are kind of a geek! And that's very cool. How did you even think of this?

1:46 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Point WHACKLY!

2:25 PM  
Blogger EZMezzo said...

Kind of? Whackly would tell you that I'm the biggest geek on the planet!!!! LOL. I'm always looking for new points of view of things that will be amusing to me (and hopefully others) on this little site we call Mental Fiber.

2:27 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Whackly snubbed! Also, no mention that you and both have prime number ages.... :(

2:29 PM  
Blogger EZMezzo said...

SORRY for the Snub. Yes, Whackly and I talked about it this morning. Whackly, is good, Whackly is great...all hail Whackly!!!! LOL Seriously though, we talked about it this morning, and it seemed like a cool thing to post about. And yes, Whackly and myself are both "prime" ages too...

2:37 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

and if you multiply our ages you get 899

The Year 899....

- Death of King Alfred the Great of Wessex & All England
- First documentation of Leonid meteor shower activity
-Louis the Child becomes King of East Francia
-Amulf of Corinthia (Karantania)dies (December 8th)
-12 year old Babur becomes ruler of Ferana
-(899 B.C.)Ahaziah becomes King of Israel
-(899 B.C.)Solar eclipse at sunrise (double dawn... that reminds me of a previous post) in Zheng, China (April 21st)
-Regino of Prüm is expelled from Prüm and becomes abbot of St. Martin's in Trier.
-Gorm the Old becomes King of Denmark.

899s Significance

-S.899
Title: A bill to amend the Solid Waste Disposal Act to provide for flow control of municipal solid waste.
Sponsor: Sen Dodd, Christopher J. [CT] (introduced 6/12/1997) Cosponsors (None)
Latest Major Action: 6/12/1997 Referred to Senate committee. Status: Read twice and referred to the Committee on Environment and Public Works.

(29 +31)/2=30

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,1210067,00.asp (30 Billion)

30 is the pyramidal number of 4 denoting a four sided pyramid, this basic idea is a crucial function of the math used to create the ancient pyramids of Giza

30 Something was a crappy prime time soap opera

30 is one of the most important numbers for Masons. Tubalcaine!

3:14 PM  
Blogger EZMezzo said...

nice 899 analysis. if you take the current month 11 and multiply it by 100, and add it to 899, you get 1999. Let's party like it's 1999!!!!

3:28 PM  
Blogger Something dirty said...

This is very Foucalt's Pendulum. Or something. Tubalcaine!

I started trying to figure out when any of my bros & I will have prime number ages...and it took me a little while to remember that 27 isn't prime. I too stoopid for fun math games. They are currently 35, 36 & 39. Any fun math games with those numbers though?

3:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

omg this is why i have to read mental fiber! and why i am friends with you, you make me laugh and shake my head more than anyone else i know. shweet.

4:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Ezmezzo! Coincidentally, my brother and I are prime number birthdays right now too (31 & 29).

10:51 PM  
Blogger metallicorphan said...

happy birthday mezzo.....from what i have just read from yours and whacklys comments i have decided that you guys have way to much spare time........i am 29...but month after next..am the big 3.0:(

1:29 AM  
Blogger Something dirty said...

Oh, yeah, happy birthday.

1:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home